Skip to main content

One Last Hoorah

Clearly... age is just a number.

Today is my 29th birthday.  Technically, it's also my twin sister's birthday which is a bonus since we usually get double the birthday desserts.  It's my last birthday before my hit a major milestone. I took a stroll down memory lane and tried to find pictures from my 20th birthday.  I definitely found some pictures of Annie and I that could easily be used as blackmail at a later date.  Looking back, I see a young college girl with eyebrows that are too thin wearing a "I sold my soul to rock and roll" T-shirt (trust me, it was a good look at the time).  I also see someone who has so much to learn about this world and how she fits into it. I truly enjoyed my twenties.  I went to college, graduated, traveled to Europe a few times, met Jon, got married, and began my professional career.  I've come to realize that most of my learning has been the later part of my twenties. After 25, I begun to feel more comfortable with who I am, and truly value what is important in my life. My priorities have changed over the years, and I'm sure they will continue to change as I enter my 30's.  However, I have one more year left of my 20's, so I am going to enjoy it and try to accomplish these 10 goals before I turn the big three-oh!

1.  Learn how to make a fancy dessert.  I'm thinking this Chocolate Souffle would be sufficient.
2.  Take a spontaneous weekend trip out of town.  Perhaps Priceline.com could help me with this one...
3.  Learn Spanish. Jon's family speak Spanish when they are together and I truly want to join the conversation so our kids someday will grow up in a bilingual household.
4.  Two Words: Fitness routine. Working out has always been part of my life.  As I get older, it's really important for me to stay active and healthy.  I want to find a fitness regime that I can stick with and make it part of my lifestyle.
5.  Take dance or ballet classes.  When I was younger, I was in ballet and I still have such fond memories of those years.
6.  Invest in a designer handbag or shoes (or both!).  If I get my dream job before I'm 30, then I'm buying myself a nice treat!
7.  Learn the Ukulele.  This is a stretch, but I would really love to learn the ukulele. It's such a sweet instrument and it fits so much better in my hands than a regular guitar.
8. Read some of the classics: Catcher in the Rye, Wuthering Heights, Nineteen Eighty-four, etc. I think they are all free on my kindle too. Bonus!
9.  Buy personalized stationary and become really good at sending cards.  Birthdays, Anniversaries, Thinking of You...I think it's such a personal connection in this digital world we live in.
10.  Begin a holiday tradition with Jon. If you have any suggestions, send them my way!


Happy Birthday to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seasonal Changes

As most of the country begins their slow decent into the autumn season, Minnesota tends to jump in full force the moment we have one day less than 70 degrees. The leaves are turning beautiful colors of orange, yellow and red, and the chilly weather is making it tough to leave my house in the morning without a jacket and scarf. I welcome the change of seasons and have already made updates to my wardrobe and living spaces. Here are some quick tips on how you can make some easy changes to embrace the autumn season. 1.  Stock up on baking items.  Do an inventory of your spices, baking ingredients, and tools to see what you need. I just picked up some new cookie sheets from Kitchen Window as my old ones needed to be donated. Baking is much more fun when I know that I already have everything I need, and then I can make my pumpkin bread during the week. 2.  Switch your bedding.  This is something that a friend of mine showed me, and I am determined to do it this year. Current

#stayhome

I look at this photo and it seems ages ago. I took it while laying in the sun on a hotel rooftop in Miami. In reality, it was only taken 3 weeks ago today almost to the minute. Since then, a pandemic has taken this world by storm. Mother Nature is shouting from the rooftops and people are being forced to listen. We are being told to stay home, don't leave the house unless necessary, and practice social distancing. Such a funny term: social distancing. What will this do to human connection? To human culture? Behavior? Our future perspective in this world is about to go through a massive shift. "Are you ready for this," Mother Nature asks? I sure wasn't.  I have been learning so much about myself in the past 2 weeks.  How does one react in vastly unknown and uncertain times? I am no longer in a rush to do things.  It's strange, I never felt that hurried before but now there is ample time to focus on things I didn't spend that much time on before. Connectin

Online Window Shopping

After a long holiday weekend, I always have a hard time on Mondays getting back into the swing of things.  To say the least, it was not my most productive day.  I did, however, have a chance to do some online window shopping.  This is the act of spending a lot of money mentally, but not actually buying anything.  I am trying to be good about spending (although the impulsive bicycle purchase last week did not help), and only buy things that are necessary.  However, I am extremely clever in coming up with excuses when I shop, so I have a feeling some of these favorites might end up in a package at my doorstep.  Here are a few things that get me through Manic Mondays.   Sally Hansen Insta-Dry Top Coat .  Aside from Shellac, nothing has dried my nails so quickly.  Such a cute colorful wallet .   This dress just speaks springtime.  Hopefully the weather will be warm enough to wear it soon.  Sunnies .  Can you ever have too many? My new bicycle