Skip to main content

Happy 4th of July!

Fireworks over the ocean at Key Biscayne

Let's take a mini break from talking about my trip to discuss the current holiday that is upon us, the 4th of July!  Just like most Americans, I love the birthday of America and am excited to celebrate with everyone!  We are heading up to the cabin tonight for a patriotic boat parade and some fireworks over the lake. I have been lucky to experience this holiday in a variety of places and there are always family, friends, food, and perhaps a cocktail with Uncle Sam (just to clarify I mean the father of America, I don't have an actual Uncle Sam). Here are a couple of links for your 4th of July viewing pleasure!  Hope you all have a fun holiday planned!  If not, take Katy Perry's Firework advice, "you just got to ignite the light, and let it shine!"  Happy Birthday America!

I'm hoping to try this recipe tomorrow while we grill our steaks

Love this Saved by the Bell episode of the 4th of July

One year, we sat on top of the soap factory and watched the St. Anthony Main firework show. Best one in Minneapolis!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#stayhome

I look at this photo and it seems ages ago. I took it while laying in the sun on a hotel rooftop in Miami. In reality, it was only taken 3 weeks ago today almost to the minute. Since then, a pandemic has taken this world by storm. Mother Nature is shouting from the rooftops and people are being forced to listen. We are being told to stay home, don't leave the house unless necessary, and practice social distancing. Such a funny term: social distancing. What will this do to human connection? To human culture? Behavior? Our future perspective in this world is about to go through a massive shift. "Are you ready for this," Mother Nature asks? I sure wasn't.  I have been learning so much about myself in the past 2 weeks.  How does one react in vastly unknown and uncertain times? I am no longer in a rush to do things.  It's strange, I never felt that hurried before but now there is ample time to focus on things I didn't spend that much time on before. Connectin...

White Denim

Francesca's Collection  White Denim Pants , Mossimo Supply Co Denim Shirt, Toms Shoes Like many creative people, I tend to go through color phases.  I like to compare myself to Jackson Pollock when he was going through his "Blue" phase.  Currently, I am having a White Moment (notice how I capitalized it to make it a proper noun).  My White Moment consist of buying clothes, accessories, and decor in shades of white. Lucky we don't have any pets, but I do live with an artist, so sometimes this can be tricky.  During a shopping excursion where I was on a hunt for white denim, I came across this pair at Francesca's Collection .   They suited my 5'3 frame well, and had the right amount of stretch for comfort.  Paired with a classic blue denim top, the combination was perfect for a weeknight evening stroll.

Cake in a Pie Pan

Usually when the weather turns warmer, I find myself coming up with excuses to have parties and other random get togethers.  It's really just an excuse for me to cook and bake, and not eat everything myself.  This past weekend I wanted to do a little baking for Sunday night dinner, and found this recipe in one of my new cookbooks, Barefoot Contessa 'How Easy is That?' by Ina Garten. A cake in a pie pan?! It was way too intriguing to pass up. As I began to gather my ingredients, I realized that fresh cranberries are not available this time of year.  Since I couldn't decide between cherries or blueberries, I made two cakes instead, one with blueberries, one with cherries. The end result was a wonderful and easy desert that satisfied my sweet tooth and my itch to bake.