Skip to main content

Walk in the front door and dance out the back


We all have our favorites; favorite songs, favorite movies, favorite nail polish. I even have a favorite T-shirt that I use when I want a really good nights sleep. I know we aren't supposed to have favorite grandparents, but I can't help it. Not to say that I don't love them all, but my Grandma Montrone has always been my favorite. She is my mother's mother through and through and I have so many reasons why I love her dearly.
•She always said the funniest things (hence the title of this post).
• She would say the rosary everyday, always have a blessed candle lite in her living room, and always ask St Anthony to help her find something if it was lost.
•Grandma used damn and shit in most sentences. It was even more funny if she was talking religion while saying these.
•She loved to dance. There was always dancing and music played at Grandma's house.
• Everyone was always invited over for dinner. Since we are Italian, there was always plenty of food.
•She would tell everyone we met that I was her granddaughter from Minnesota. It always made me feel so special.
•She loved my Grandpa unconditionally, absolutely, eternally.

Today is my Grandmother's birthday. And although she is still around, her mind is not keeping up with her spirit. It has been a joy to think of all the reasons I love her so much and I feel so lucky to have had so many wonderful memories with her over the years. Happy Birthday Grandma! Thank you for being my favorite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#stayhome

I look at this photo and it seems ages ago. I took it while laying in the sun on a hotel rooftop in Miami. In reality, it was only taken 3 weeks ago today almost to the minute. Since then, a pandemic has taken this world by storm. Mother Nature is shouting from the rooftops and people are being forced to listen. We are being told to stay home, don't leave the house unless necessary, and practice social distancing. Such a funny term: social distancing. What will this do to human connection? To human culture? Behavior? Our future perspective in this world is about to go through a massive shift. "Are you ready for this," Mother Nature asks? I sure wasn't.  I have been learning so much about myself in the past 2 weeks.  How does one react in vastly unknown and uncertain times? I am no longer in a rush to do things.  It's strange, I never felt that hurried before but now there is ample time to focus on things I didn't spend that much time on before. Connectin...

White Denim

Francesca's Collection  White Denim Pants , Mossimo Supply Co Denim Shirt, Toms Shoes Like many creative people, I tend to go through color phases.  I like to compare myself to Jackson Pollock when he was going through his "Blue" phase.  Currently, I am having a White Moment (notice how I capitalized it to make it a proper noun).  My White Moment consist of buying clothes, accessories, and decor in shades of white. Lucky we don't have any pets, but I do live with an artist, so sometimes this can be tricky.  During a shopping excursion where I was on a hunt for white denim, I came across this pair at Francesca's Collection .   They suited my 5'3 frame well, and had the right amount of stretch for comfort.  Paired with a classic blue denim top, the combination was perfect for a weeknight evening stroll.

Cake in a Pie Pan

Usually when the weather turns warmer, I find myself coming up with excuses to have parties and other random get togethers.  It's really just an excuse for me to cook and bake, and not eat everything myself.  This past weekend I wanted to do a little baking for Sunday night dinner, and found this recipe in one of my new cookbooks, Barefoot Contessa 'How Easy is That?' by Ina Garten. A cake in a pie pan?! It was way too intriguing to pass up. As I began to gather my ingredients, I realized that fresh cranberries are not available this time of year.  Since I couldn't decide between cherries or blueberries, I made two cakes instead, one with blueberries, one with cherries. The end result was a wonderful and easy desert that satisfied my sweet tooth and my itch to bake.